🌎 World Oceans Day: June 8th
(Sportalsub.net / World Oceans Day) – Leer en Español
World Oceans Day has been unofficially celebrated every 8 June since its original proposal in 1992 by Canada at the Earth Summitin Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It was officially recognized by the United Nations in 2008. Since then it has been coordinated internationally by The Ocean Project with greater success and global participation each year.
2015 Theme: Healthy oceans, healthy planet
This year, the theme is Healthy oceans, healthy planet. Unfortunately, human pressures, including overexploitation, illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing, destructive fishing, as well as unsustainable aquaculture practices, marine pollution, habitat destruction, alien species, climate change and ocean acidification are taking a significant toll on the world’s oceans and seas.
Why do we celebrate World Oceans Day?
- To remind everyone of the major part the Ocean has in everyday life. They are the lungs of our planet, providing most of the oxygen we breathe.
- To inform the public on the impact of the human actions on the Ocean.
- To develop a worldwide movement of citizen, towards the Ocean.
- To mobilize and unite the world’s population on a project for the sustainable management of the World Ocean. They are a major source of food and medicines and a critical part of the biosphere.
- To celebrate together the beauty, the wealth and the promise of the Ocean.